The Zoey Blog: I Hear Atlanta is Nice This Time of Year... FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Sunday, March 31, 2013

I Hear Atlanta is Nice This Time of Year...

Michigan wins

I don't know when the optimist in me took leave, but at least in a sporting sense, I've turned into something of a naysayer.  Even with a twenty point lead I couldn't help but beg the universe to not let this one slip away.  Michigan came out of the gate slaying dragons, and quickly built a ridiculous lead on the Florida Gators, turning the Elite Eight match up into what looked a bit like a farce.  I never used to be that guy, but over the past decade or so I've found myself falling into some unflattering habits...like waiting for the worst to happen, and involving the universe in sporting events.  I don't know what happened to me.

I like to blame the 2009 American League Central Tie-Breaker Game for my trepidation but it's most likely more complex than that.  Somehow I've just stopped believing.  That's not cool.

Tonight the Michigan Wolverines punched their ticket to the 2013 Final Four in Atlanta, and the game wasn't even close, still,  I didn't enjoy it until the last two minutes.  That's how far I've fallen.  I held my breath for two hours.  That kinda takes the enjoyment out of sporting events.  It's not that I live and die with the Wolverines, it's just that...well, maybe I come really close to living and dying by these stupid f#$%ing games.  I need to get a life.

It's embarrassing how I react to this stuff...I don't know how many times I've said out loud that this is the last game I ever watch, or that I don't even care who wins, or I'll never pay attention to this stuff again...lies, all filthy lies of embarrassing proportions.  Somehow I've lost my balance and perspective, and misplaced whatever positivity and optimism I used to have in giant heaping piles.  Somehow I've got to find a way to just enjoy it all.

Michigan is playing in the Final Four.  Are you kidding me?  Nope.  See you in Atlanta.  I'll be the guy sporting all that sickening, soul drenching optimism. You can't miss me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home