The Zoey Blog: *UPDATED Monday Feb 4th* - A Song a Day... FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Monday, February 4, 2013

*UPDATED Monday Feb 4th* - A Song a Day...

OMG I'm so bad at this...I chuck out all these fun and awesome little enterprises and never finish a single one of them...like my Facebook Elimination Tournament (that will be re-attempted in March) and this horrifying effort to slap together a song a day for thirty days.  Brutal.  I'm just brutal.

Anyway, here we are, caught up and in the words of John Travolta, "rockin' and rollin' and what not."

1. Heroes - David Bowie

It's the tunnel song in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and besides that, it's Bowie. I didn't own this song before Saturday. Weird thing is I didn't watch "Perks..." until Sunday.

2. You Don't Know Me - Eddie Arnold

If it's gonna be country it better be real country, and by real I mostly mean real old. I first heard this Eddie Arnold classic in the surf film "In God's Hands," and I loved it. It was the hardest song to steal, so after fifteen or so years I just paid for it.

3. Ho Hey - The Lumineers

I heard that you go to Hell if you don't like this song, so...

4. 40 Day Dream - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Hate iTunes all you want but it's given us the "Genius Recommends" sidebar which might the best thing to ever happen to me behind, you know, a dozen or twenty other things.

5. Violet - Hole

Flashback, sure, but awesome, yeah.

6. It's a Wonderful Lie - Paul Westerberg

Paul Westerberg's been around forever and gets zilch credit for his quiet awesomeness. "Don't pin your hopes, or pin your dreams, to misanthropes or guys like me..." are you kidding me. This guy's a genius.

7. Real Desire - Dan Auerbach

Goddamned that sounds like The Black Keys. That's 'cause Dan is the guitarist and singer of that same band. In a day and age where not very many rock and roll records are made, you just found one.

8. Shake Ya - Hacienda

The Austin, TX quartet was once described as "Mexican-Americans who are obsessed with the Beach Boys," which sounds just about perfect if you were to ask me, which, of course, no one ever does.

9. Get Away - YUCK

If your good friend, Sonic Youth, had a cute little sister, this would be her, and you wouldn't be able to keep your hands off of her, and eventually it would be the complete ruination of your friendship but who #$%king cares because she's way better in a basement than her big brother could ever be.

10. Splitter - Calexico

I'm gonna just say it.  If you don't like Calexico, well, we just might not be meant for one another, and that's okay, I don't need anyone in my life who doesn't like these guys.

11. If Only - Dave Matthews Band

Ever since Under the Table and Dreaming this house has had a near ridiculous love affair with Dave Matthews music that typically looks like this....album release...meh, it's not as good as the old stuff...months pass...wow, I really, really love this new album...me too ...can't stop listening to it...see two or three live shows...wait for next record...album release...meh, it's not as good as the old stuff...

12. Atlas Genius - Trojan

Me and pop music...kind of inseparable.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home