The Zoey Blog: Why Do I Give a Sh!% About the New York Knicks? FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Why Do I Give a Sh!% About the New York Knicks?

I watch a film and I get giddy...a good film, but I suppose that's all about context and perspective...but I watch a good film and I can't stop smiling. I can't help but get a little twisted around in the plot and characters, not unlike a good book. It makes me wonder aloud, "why do I give a sh!% about the New York Knicks...or the Los Angeles Lakers...or, well, let's not get too carried away. I'll always give a sh!% about the Los Angeles Lakers. Strangely enough, a good movie reminds me that I don't care about much more than a good story. It reminds me that I need more escapism and indulgence, and that my imagination is a universe almost entirely unexplored.

I was once asked, somewhat incredulously, by what we believed to be a cheap Hells Kitchen palm reader, why I was doing what I was doing when I could have so much more of an impact writing about the things that I know and believe in, and understand. Why did I work so hard to change lives one at a time when I could write and if I was lucky change thousands on lives at a time? I didn't have an answer, especially because I thought she was half nuts, and because you're not supposed to believe in palm readers because that makes me you dangerously crazy, and even more dangerously naive. Perhaps I'm reminded of her truth, however, in the dizzyness of a film, or the disorientation that a good story can inspire. Why do I give two sh!%s about the New York Knicks when "Midnight in Paris can make me light up like a child? Maybe she's right. Maybe it's more noble to inspire others to help themselves than help them yourself. That in itself is a big part of what I do. I help people help themselves, by giving them truth and faith and trust and time...I don't know if that translates to paper, and en masse.

I think I need to spend more time cultivating whatever garden of creativity and inspiration is inside of me, and less time paying half-attention to Madison Square Garden. I don't remember the last time that the Knicks made me light up, but tonight, after watching a fun and boldly imaginative movie I'm going to fall asleep smiling. Sometimes the simple truths are the hardest ones to understand...and sometimes palm readers aren't so #$%king crazy maybe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home