The Zoey Blog: Opening Day 2012...Responsibility Wins FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Thursday, April 5, 2012

Opening Day 2012...Responsibility Wins

bilde

There was a time when I wouldn't have missed Opening Day for a billion dollars, and now I do...consistently. It's not that I don't have the choice to go, because I do, and for two years in a row I've chosen work over play. I suppose if work didn't revolve rather tightly around the lives of other people it wouldn't have been such a tormentful (did I just make that word up?) decision, but the truth of the matter is that if I go to a baseball game today, when I should be working, someone gets forgotten about. I don't want to do that. Of course, I also don't want to be drinking beer at 8am on a Thursday anymore either, so maybe it's a little more than just a commitment to the people that I work with.

The last Opening Day I went to, two years ago, I spent far too much money, got far too deep into the dangerous side of many beers, and finished the day having missed most of the ball game. Not really my style anymore. It might never really have been but I did it anyway. Today will start with coffee, then fill up with people, and hopefully creep along gently. With luck it will end with a slight whimper, and I'll sneak away to catch the last few innings of a game I used to never miss. There's the potential to be a really great day, regardless of where I'm at...game, school. road...I know that I won't be drinking at 8am, and that whatever money is in my pocket should probably stay in my pocket barring incident. Wow, that sounds...responsible, which makes me smile. THere are worse sounding things.

Eat 'em up Tigers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home