The Zoey Blog: Goodbye Michelle Smith... FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Goodbye Michelle Smith...

“The people that I respect the most, the people who are doing great things, are people who care so much about what they do that they can barely stop.”

My boss retired today, and when it came time to say something I couldn't find the words. In fact, I'm not sure if I had any words that were good enough for her. She's simply the best person I've ever had keeping watch over my life outside of my family, and maybe even the best person I've ever known period. I'm quite sure that my affection for her would seem muted and insufficient no matter what I typed. In fact, I can feel my heart swell in my chest, literally, as I think about her, and I wonder if I ever might meet another person that impresses me with that much entirety. I'll always remember that I found myself, who I was, what I believed in, under her supportive and proud gaze, and I'll miss her blurts of laughter almost as much as her gentle voice of reason.

A long, long time ago I decided that even if I didn't know what it was that I wanted to do, I knew exactly what I wanted to be...I somehow wanted to be impressive. Because of Michelle I have a template, and because of Michelle I have the faith that I might just be able to manage it someday.

Thank you so much for everything Michelle Smith. I'll always divide my life into two parts...the time before I met you, and the time after. I hope it's never very long between those moments that I get to see you again and recharge the battery that keeps me feeling as though I might maybe make some kind of difference to someone. You showed me that I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home