The Zoey Blog: Finding My Inner Canuck FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Sunday, March 13, 2011

Finding My Inner Canuck

flannel 2

I think my goal for the remainder of 2011 is to be a better Canadian. I'm starting it off by leaving for Brooklyn.

I dunno what made me want to make a more concentrated effort, but the glaring lights of my so called life illuminate a less than stellar Canadian. I need to play more hockey, brew my own beer, visit a cottage more often, maybe fish...listen to CBC. I dunno, I just think that I could be remarkably better, and in turn, make Zoey a better version of a little Canadian kid.

I can start with reading...like finishing that David Suzuki book I started. I'd like to read Grant Lawrence's "Adventures in Soltitude," and it's the truth, I've never read a single Robertson Davies book. I will stick my chest out proudly and boast my affinity for Morley Callaghan, however. That's a start.

I'm going to listen to more Canadian music (except Celine Dion, Anne Murray, Great Big Sea, Loverboy, Rita McNeil, and quite possibly The Guess Who even) and so I'd better get back in touch with my childhood best boyo, Johnny Teetantric, and see about taking his class on Canadian music. It's delivered via an ancient iPod and copious shared files so it's more than manageable. I'll have to write that one on my hand. I think we've been planning it for two years with almost no commitment, and minimal enthusiasm.

I should visit Montreal, and Ottawa. I should see Algonquin Park, and take in a show at Massey Hall.

I need to renew my fishing license and camp more. There should be far more campfires in my memory.

Maybe I'll start curling? No, probably not, but I should, and I know it.

I have enough Roots clothing, but then, that's not even a Canadian brand...close enough.

I need to own a Hudson's Bay blanket.

I'll go to more Blue Jays games.

I'll see Gordon Lightfoot one more time, and choke down another Tragically Hip show to add to the pile.

I'll eat more bacon.

I'll buy more flannel...I like flannel.

I'll apologize more.

Of course, I'll have to stop buying beer in Michigan, which will be difficult, and a poor financial decision, but...

Mostly I think I'll take it slow 'n easy and start with listening to more Canadian music, reading Grant Lawrence's awesome looking book, and wearing more flannel. I'll very likely camp more frequently too.

It's a start.

2 Comments:

Blogger M. said...

Couple of things. We're moving to Ottawa, so set a date and check that one off of the list. A 12-pack of Moosehead is $10 at our local beer-selling establishment, so screw Michigan. Also, can we come camping? Thanks.

March 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger John Teeter said...

And eat more poutine!

March 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home