The Zoey Blog: Heroes and Goodbyes... FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Sunday, October 31, 2010

Heroes and Goodbyes...

LAX

Blog what? Awesomeness? How do you do that? It's nearly impossible. Three days in Southern California and with a sturdy purpose, made all the more bombproof by stellar weather, and a handshake from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on my way out. That's right, I said Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Lew Alcindor. I was standing there minding my own business when I found myself suddenly standing in a shadow -- a Laker legend's shadow. My jaw dropped a little. I picked it back up before he noticed and when he looked at me and smiled I tragically exclaimed, "Kareem." He nodded and smiled wider.

"Whoa," I added, you know, just for emphasis and to offer the situation the proper amount of dumbfounded dorkiness.

We shook hands and he said, "Nice to meet you," that's it, that's all. Before I could gather my thoroughly fried wits he was gone. I heard another airport patron exclaim loudly, "Kareem," just as I had, only more emphatically.

Whoa indeed.

I just shook the hand of one of my heroes. I've still got goose bumps. Jebus H. Earvin Johnson I must doing something alright to flop into this kind of karma. I called June. I acted like even more of the geek that I often am. Then I called my good friend Joe and offered more of the same. Then I got on an airplane for home.

Goodbye Los Angeles. I'm sure I'll be back very soon. I mean, now that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is my best friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home