The Zoey Blog: A visitor... FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Friday, September 24, 2010

A visitor...

Tonight I came home to a hawk waiting for me...watching me...reminding me, so it seems, according to all of the teachings, to pay attention, to be aware, to watch. He sat on the branch above me, flew from the picnic table when I drove up, and sat himself on the branch above my head. He waited for me to get out of the car, and then stared through me as I stood there and looked back.

Aaniin ezhinikaazoyan? my head and heart asked. No answer.

Aandi wenjibaayan? my spirit whispered, to myself as much as to him. No answer.

Niin Brian nindizhinikaaz, my heart said quietly, my head tipped back, staring up at the branch above me, Giga-waabamin naagaj? it added. There was a beat and then the hawk lifted and flew away. My spirit spoke to him, I know that. I felt it. I don't know any Ojibway, not much, at least, but I found my spirit speaking, strangely.

He's a divine messenger this hawk, that's what I'm told. Strange to come home and have him waiting, after all that this week has had to teach me. There are a lot of difficult things drifting down from the clouds...for friends...for strangers...and he comes to visit me? Maybe that's as it should be.

It's not often that I'm at a loss for words...not often at all, but tonight, yes.

My good friend, Merle, just sent me this story...

When I was 17 a hawk flew into my backyard, (this had never happened previously) landed on a unusual, hard to reach perch and looked me in the eye. This was the moment that I decided to change my major in college (more importantly, I was verbalizing this to my lifelong music teacher) from Jazz Studies to Economics - a very profound and life altering decision for me in my life (I am now in my late 20's and at the time was practicing 8 hrs a day). The next week my music teacher brought me lots of literature on Native American animal symbolism, all of which pointed to one conclusion - this decision was an important one. It took me most of the next decade to understand what that day meant but I now believe that hawks (a bird with amazing VISION and PERSPECTIVE) appear to help you realize that an important, and to me, highly intelligent (and perhaps clairvoyant) decision has been made. . .

Thanks Merle, and I suppose one has, indeed, been made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home