The Zoey Blog: Sigh...Goodbye Coach FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sigh...Goodbye Coach



"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."

John Wooden played a big role in my life. His words were fatherly, when I needed them. His success and accomplishments were a kind of dream currency, and his values were something that shaped me during a time when I found solace and comfort in empty gymnasiums with only the thump of a basketball on hardwood and imaginary banners waving from rafters as company.

He was a gentle man, and taught many others to be the same. He was much more than just a basketball coach. It's very hard to say that anymore, and yet he was the most successful coach of all time, the definitive coach. His loss leaves this planet a lesser place.

Watch this and then I double dog dare you to not be overwhelmed with affection for the Wizard of Westwood. Someday I'm going to tell Zoey stories about John Wooden. I hope she listens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home