Even Norah Jones Likes London...She Said So
Photo by Tony Cenicola/The New York Times
I have a bit of a crush on Norah Jones...always did, but last night it got worse. June knows, and to be perfectly honest I think June looks better. She certainly has a leg up on Norah because she likes me back.
We saw Norah Jones at the John Labatt Centre in London last night. She was A LOT better thanthis totally forgettable review by James Reaney. It was maybe one of the best shows I've ever been to musically speaking. She sounded better than she does in a studio recording, and her musicians were pretty incredible.
Yup, I like Norah Jones. You should too, maybe you already do. If not, read this and try your best not to.
Not only did we see a great show last night but I was re-acquainted with my affection for downtown London. I spent more than a few years there, working with the Boys and Girls Club as well as a Drop-In Centre for street and homeless youth. I loved downtown. I loved living there. I loved walking around. I loved the familiar faces of living in a community as small as a downtown core. I think I could do it again...in London I mean. I have friends there, both old and new, and better yet, old best friends re-discovered, and I have a solid professional network there as well. The JLC brings in world class music, the schools are great, the parks are great. I could still make damn near every Tigers game, and I'd be a short skip to Toronto. June and I spent a chunk of last night talking about the merits of being back in London. The short list...
- June has a great job in the city.
- I can either find a great job in the city, or keep the one I've got and commute.
- We have lots of friends there.
- It's cheaper than Toronto or Vancouver.
- It's a university town, with a college to boot which provides both us and Zedder with opporunities.
- Grandparents are still close.
- Stu and Anne are close
- Johnny Teetantric lives there
- Our good friend Nadine lives there too.
- Joe Kool's has the best burgers around AND is Canada's Official Detroit Tigers headquarters.
- The city has a daily newspaper
- We can scoot to Toronto in no time to see our friends Coop and Mitch
- There is good food in London
- There are bookstores in London
- There are record stores too
- If we need day care I know a girl who runs one...she's nice.
- Did I mention the book stores and record shops?
Anyway...Norah Jones was great...London is a pretty okay place...Oh, and if you get the chance, go to Braise Restaurant on Dundas Street in London (tucked in beside the Market near the JLC and just down from Robinson Hall). It's my new favorite go-broke but feel great place. It's a beaut.