The Zoey Blog: A loss of words, and a struggle with perspective FINAL - COVER UNIVERSE EXPLORERS ORDER


Thursday, September 17, 2009

A loss of words, and a struggle with perspective

I've written about a dozen things to slap up here tonight and none of them left me feeling satisfied. Too egocentric maybe, too random or irrelevant perhaps, but stuck in Microsoft Word hell forever, never to see the light of day. I don't regret suppressing such crap. It doesn't deserve to ever see sunshine. Sometimes there's just nothing to write, or nothing to write and show people.

I can't get work out of my head, despite a good Red Sox - Angels game, and an entertaining Miami (FL) vs. Georgia Tech football game, but I've got the long day on my mind still and nothing is coming out right. Today I sat with a young man who is neck deep, if not drowning, in his own mistakes, and helping him is near impossible. He's reached a place where everything...everything, save his attitude... is in the hands of other people. Do what you want in life but don't ever do that. SO why can't I lose it tonight? Here's a quick summary...

An addict in way over their head...
Mom's a mess...
Dad has almost nothing left to give...
Kicked out of rehab...
Needs someone to tell him what to do...

Ignoring everything else but the basics and this kid is still desperate for help...The funster was selling Oxycontin, 80's...between 60 and 80 a week...rounding down the numbers, let's take 60 pills at $35 each on average, multiplied by seven = $2,100 a week...which translates to $4,400 a month, or $52, 800 a year. That kind of math was spread out over two years for a grand total of over $100,000 passing through the hands of a sixteen year old wearing a Hollister sweatshirt, and this kid has nothing...nothing...and is probably going to jail. It's a shit show for certain and I can't get it out of my head. I can't put a decent thing down on paper.

My head hurts, Im tired, and this makes for awful reading. I'm going to go kiss my daughter goodnight and see how this bounces around my brain when I'm laying horizontal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home